Continuing wildlife calls come from all over the country through the hotline number: 877-WILDHELP. Sometimes we can talk people through the situation, other times we find a rehabilitator in their area.

While finalizing this newsletter, the Wildlife Watch hotline brought a call from for help from a SUNY New Paltz student, Sheryl.

One of many geese who live at the many ponds on campus was having a hard time moving. Despite Sheryl’s attempts not to fall into the water, she tumbled down the steep embankment and once in the water it was a piece of cake to get the goose.

She then had to contend with her unhappy patient and his family who didn’t want him to leave (even though he was quite ill). She even gave up her sheet to cover him up.

Sheryl is a hero to us. I told her I’d return the sheet to her, but she said, “Don’t worry, I have others.” Our job was easy, we drove the goose to the Newburgh Animal Hospital where they take wildlife and hire wildlife rehabilitators!

Suggest that your vet hire wildlife rehabilitators!

The same day the Wildlife Watch hotline also helped a nest of squirrels waiting for their Mom who’d been hit by a car two days before!

If not for the little squirrel that fell out of his nest and was found by Jean Barker, no one would have known they were there 30 feet up in a tree.

Their “chirps” were getting weaker, Jean said.

The Lawless Tree Service in Saugerties was more than willing to get a cherry picker over to the tree, but in trying to coordinate, their cell phone was out of range. The Rip Van Winkle Campground then came to the rescue and sent someone over with a 40′ ladder.

The babies were then delivered safely to two rehabbers waiting on the ground below to rush them to the rehabilitation center for hydration. Kudos to Denise Edelson of the Holly Edelson Wildlife Sanctuary, Joanne of Ravensbeard www.ravensbeard.org, and the Rip Van Winkle Campground.

Wildlife Watch was called to a house in a wooded area where the resident heard fawn bleats coming from a wooded area near his home. Since the bleats were continuing for hours we had to assume that the mother was not returning.

Tracking the location of the fawn bleats, a fawn was found and moved to an enclosure in his yard. Since the bleats continued to come from the woods, we all realized we were dealing with twins. The fawn in the enclosure and his sibling in the woods continued to duet back and forth enabling the second fawn to be found.

After a good dose of goat’s milk and a good night’s sleep they went off to the only deer rehabilitators for miles: the Bells.

All the neighbors and their children participated in helping the little fawns to survive.

Anne deals with essential input

..and output


Contact Us

Committee to Abolish Sport Hunting / C.A.S.H.
P.O. Box 562
New Paltz, NY 12561